|Kit-built 'Cricket' replica gyrocopter G-BYMP, PFA
Serial G/03-1265, now on public display, was collected from Cheshire
and brought to The Museum by Collections Officer, John Clews with
two volunteers, on 17th January 2014. It was donated to The Museum
by Chris Attwood who also donated
Campbell Cricket, G-AXRA, collected in
G-BYMP was built and registered by James Fitzgerald in Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland in 1999, but was transferred to the donor in late 2011.
The self-build design closely follows that of the Campbell Aircraft Company's original 'Cricket', which was in production from 1969 until 1971. G-BYMP is equipped with a similar Volkswagen 4-cylinder, 4-stroke engine. A mechanical pre-rotator is fitted but there is no horizontal stabiliser.
Peter Lovegrove designed the Campbell 'Cricket' in 1968 as an evolution of Ivor Bensen's B.8M gyrocopter. He established close links with the new companies, such as British Gyroplanes Ltd and Layzell Gyroplanes, which served the kit-build market in later years.
|Thanks to Noel Kearney for use of his photograph of G-BYMP at Newtownards Airfield Fly-in on 4th June 2011.|
|Back to Acquisitions Index|